Author Topic: Help please - calcification of spine... (x posted from CC)  (Read 4642 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
Re: Help please - calcification of spine... (x posted from CC)
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 21:16:57 PM »
Thanks for link Dawn, I did reply just now when I saw I had a pm, you had forgotten to send the link! 

Sorry about that, my head is a little scrambled today  ;)  Good luck and keep us posted on whatever decision you decide to take, xxxxxx

Will do, will keep you informed as to what happens.

I have just read Minimopsical's story  :Luv2: bless her heart!  What a lucky girl to have found such a loving and devoted home.  Brought a tear to my eye. :Luv:

I have sent Dorothy an e-mail too.  Fingers crossed....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 21:24:48 PM by Balfie »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 21:12:29 PM »
Thanks for link Dawn, I did reply just now when I saw I had a pm, you had forgotten to send the link! 

Sorry about that, my head is a little scrambled today  ;)  Good luck and keep us posted on whatever decision you decide to take, xxxxxx

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 21:11:16 PM »
The 3 sided tray is not a litter tray but a gardeners work tray very sturdy and lined with a puppy training pad, it has been in use by Minimopsical for over 3 years now; if you click on her picture top right of page it may help give an insight on what can be achieved.She is severely disabled but a very happy girl who loves a challenge; and yes I did look into mobility aids when she became paralised but thankfully we didnt need one.

Thankyou for that, I have been searching on 3 sided litter trays but couldnt find anything!

Thanks for link Dawn, I did reply just now when I saw I had a pm, you had forgotten to send the link!  Will definately get in touch with her, like you say, nothing to lose and she may be able to help.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 20:51:46 PM »
The 3 sided tray is not a litter tray but a gardeners work tray very sturdy and lined with a puppy training pad, it has been in use by Minimopsical for over 3 years now; if you click on her picture top right of page it may help give an insight on what can be achieved.She is severely disabled but a very happy girl who loves a challenge; and yes I did look into mobility aids when she became paralised but thankfully we didnt need one.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 20:35:19 PM »
I sent you a pm earlier and thought this may help  ;)  It won't hurt and is worth a try  :hug:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=11454.new;topicseen#new

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 20:33:40 PM »
Thankyou both.  I think you are right, the key here is his quality of life.  I have been searching on disabled pets and doing lots of reading.  Knowledge is power!

Will keep you all informed as to Felfel's progress.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 19:33:12 PM »
I would have agreed with some of the comments regarding mobility aids but thinking about it, as long as he is happy, loved and has a good quality of life, I'm sure Felfel will cope.  Re the litter tray, someone was telling me a while ago about a tray which only had 3 sides so if he had to use wheels, he wouldn't have a problem using this.   Cats do get use to disabilities fairly easily, I think we have more of a problem with them than the actual cats.  I've got a little brain damaged girl and she used to virtually somersault everytime she tried to get to the litter tray, it was really distressing to see but over time, she learn how to coordinate her movements and now has no problems.  Good luck with him and fingers crossed you can find a solution to help the little man  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 19:10:07 PM »
Hi Balfie
Sorry to hear about Felfel and hope something can be done for him. Disabled cats are wonderful at adapting and coping with whatever life throws at them providing good quality of life can be maintained by  both cat and human. I certainly would look at and discuss the possibility of mobility and other  aids, it is suprising how much can be achieved by a willing cat and loving  human.

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 18:52:42 PM »
I tend to agree with the others about mobility aids  but of course each case has to be taken on it's merits and given alot of consideration ... things like stairs for instance ... with an aid the little chap would no longer be able to get up or down them (Fine if your sister lives in a large Manhattan loft space  ;) )

Of course there are many people who live with a disable pet that has a full and happy life.  Your sister will need to discuss all the options with the vet and try to be objective whilst considering what is best for Felfel.

The one good thing about this forum is that you will get lots of views and opinions (some you may agree with ... some you may not but it is always good to get different points of view).

You posted while I was typing my other reply!!!  Yes, lots of thought and discussion will have to take place if he remains paralysed.  I have already suggested a baby gate to them - so when they are out he is restricted to the bottom of the house.  Then when they all go up to bed the baby gate goes at the top of the stairs to stop him going down.  (He is not an agile cat who would attempt to jump over a gate.)

And yes, although I would love to get a load of replies saying everything will turn out ok, I realise this wont happen, and I do appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions, even if they arent what I would ideally like to hear.  Already we have a couple of issues to think about that we hadnt thought of before, and the more different options and ideas and thoughts we can get now, the better chance we have of doing the best for Felfel.

Thankyou again, as I said before, any opions, thoughts and advice greatfully received.  He is their first cat and I dont have a cat so any help from you more experienced folks is really appreciated.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 18:28:09 PM »
I tend to agree with the others about mobility aids  but of course each case has to be taken on it's merits and given alot of consideration ... things like stairs for instance ... with an aid the little chap would no longer be able to get up or down them (Fine if your sister lives in a large Manhattan loft space  ;) )

Of course there are many people who live with a disable pet that has a full and happy life.  Your sister will need to discuss all the options with the vet and try to be objective whilst considering what is best for Felfel.

The one good thing about this forum is that you will get lots of views and opinions (some you may agree with ... some you may not but it is always good to get different points of view).

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 18:23:02 PM »
I personally dont think it is, cats are such free spirits, and I wouldn't want to do that to them, you dont know the effect it would have on their mental health, and toileting is a concenr, as while he could be taken out in the garden to poo, what happens if his owners need to go out and he needs a wee, or they want to go on holiday. I have actually had this discussion with a friend, and she is of the same opinion with her dog.

Maybe it would be possible for him to wee in his litter tray as it is his front legs not his back legs that are paralysed?  He could put his back quarters into his tray to wee?  Also, they are already looking at slopes for him to go up and down so he can still reach places he likes.  And they never leave him unattended anyway, if they go on holiday someone comes in to care for him.  The more I look at the links for disabled pets, the more I think its feasible.  But of course they would have to consider carefully the full implications, and the increased responsiblities that they would have to him.  I dont think they will lightly give up on him.  But I guess you are right, a disabled pet takes a hell of a lot of care and needs careful consideration as to whether you can meet his needs.  I am just praying he recovers enough that these discussions are academic.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 18:44:50 PM by Balfie »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 18:11:32 PM »
I personally dont think it is, cats are such free spirits, and I wouldn't want to do that to them, you dont know the effect it would have on their mental health, and toileting is a concenr, as while he could be taken out in the garden to poo, what happens if his owners need to go out and he needs a wee, or they want to go on holiday. I have actually had this discussion with a friend, and she is of the same opinion with her dog.
Please spay your cat

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 18:08:01 PM »
I do hope that he isn't paralysed, but I am like MM, I wouldnt put my cats in that position - Molly's favourite sleeping place is on the bed, and she couldnt do that if she had to have a mobility aid.

I believe Felfel sleeps under their bed rather than on it (he's a funny little thing, sleeps in places you wouldnt think would be comfortable, like on top of their dining table!) so although the bed wouldnt be a problem its another valid point- he wouldnt be able to get up onto any of the high up places he likes without help.  But isnt it bettter than the alternative?  Not trying to be inflammatory, just wanting to discuss options and opinions....
Thank you all so much for your input so far.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 18:00:03 PM »
I do hope that he isn't paralysed, but I am like MM, I wouldnt put my cats in that position - Molly's favourite sleeping place is on the bed, and she couldnt do that if she had to have a mobility aid.
Please spay your cat

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 17:05:58 PM »
I have no experience of an animal on wheels at all, its just a personal feeling towards it, much like i wouldnt put my cats through chemo or organ transplant.
None of my current cats would have the personality for all the hands on either, theres also issues to toileting, alot of those dogs wear diapers and would need regular bathing. Dogs can be trained to poo on walks but not sure cats could be!
Its not something i feel comfortable with i guess.

Thanks for thoughts.  Apparently he is regular as clockwork with his poos so could be taken into garden for poo time.  As to the other, its a valid point, something to think about.  The link Sam posted about disabled cats has given us some hope tho.  Lets hope it doesnt come to that and he regains the use of his legs. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 16:53:45 PM »
I have no experience of an animal on wheels at all, its just a personal feeling towards it, much like i wouldnt put my cats through chemo or organ transplant.
None of my current cats would have the personality for all the hands on either, theres also issues to toileting, alot of those dogs wear diapers and would need regular bathing. Dogs can be trained to poo on walks but not sure cats could be!
Its not something i feel comfortable with i guess.

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 16:29:48 PM »
Wow, those links are great, thanks Sam.  At least there is still hope, even if the worst happens and his front legs remain paralysed (which we hope isnt going to happen).

Millys mum, can I ask why you wouldnt use mobility aids with your cats?  We need all the guidance and advice we can get....

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 16:23:37 PM »
Hi Balfie,

Glad you decided to join us:

The following may be of interest http://www.messybeast.com/disabled.htm

http://www.dogkarts.com/

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 16:12:21 PM »
Great name!
I hope he pulls through   :hug:

I dont think id use mobility aids on my cats  :shy:

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 16:07:47 PM »
His name is Felfel.  (Persian for pepper)

He is a lovely boy, I feel so sorry for him, he is so young still.  I hope someone may be able to offer some advice or experiences of this sort of thing.

We are all hoping against hope he gains back the use of his legs.  If he doesnt they have been thinking along the lines of mobility aids - does anyone know of a cat managing without the use of his front legs?  Most of the mobility aids I have seen on line seem to be for back legs not front legs.  Although I am no expert (I dont have a cat myself) in theory I cant see why he wouldnt be able to have some sort of wheeled device to lean his body on and push himself round with his back legs?  Is this feasible?

Once again, thankyou for replies so far.  Any thoughts or advice greatfully received.
xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 15:12:16 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your sisters pud, Balfie.  What is his name?

There are a couple of vet nurses and several experienced rescue folk on this forum, so I hope one or two of them may be able to offer some advice when they log on / see this.

Fingers crossed for the little fella.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Balfie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 13:42:47 PM »
Thankyou for your kind thoughts, I have let my sister know. 

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
No experience or advice but lots of hugs and positive thoughts  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:48:03 AM »
Sorry Sam I wouldn't have a clue, but sending lots of love+ hugs to him :Luv:
Caroline xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Help please - calcification of spine... (x posted from CC)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:38:34 AM »
Saw this on CC and wondered if anyone has any experience or advice for this lady:

My sister has a rescued persian cat, only 3 years old. He is a dear little chap, a real character, and still very young. In the last couple of days everything has been turned on its head for them, he became paralysed in his front legs, and the vet says its an arthritic shock due to arthritis and calcification of his spine (specifically in his shoulders and front limbs, hence the paralysis). He is currently still at the vets, I believe he is sedated and also had injections to reduce any swelling. They advice he rest his limbs - he has gained some use in one of his front limbs, to the extent he can prop himself up on one of his legs, but the other is pretty much still paralysed. They have been advised he will need his movements Very restricted to rest the area, and only time will tell how much he may or may not recover.

I have said I will post to see if anyone can help.

Has anyone experience of this sort of thing?
Does anyone know what kind of outcome they can realistically expect? We are all very unfamiliar with this and any help or advice would be greatfully received.

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/69941.html?1200784749
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 10:39:31 AM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Link to CatChat