Author Topic: CRF - Giving subcutaneous fluids  (Read 3093 times)

cheekee_munkee

Re: CRF - Giving subcutaneous fluids
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 20:14:28 PM »
I find distraction and holding Tiffy the way I do works well. Havent so far caused the needle to slip.

It depends on the cat to how much you can give at the same site.

You do somtimes get a swelling where the fluid has gone in and so I prefer to use 2 sites as its less uncomfortable for Tiffy

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 16:28:36 PM »
 :thanks: for posting this, an excellent thread  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 15:00:39 PM »
I was lucky my vet was quite happy for me to give Suzie fluids. Suzie had 80ml each day, at first I started with 40ml each side, but found it was ok to give the 80 ml in one spot - in fact you can give up to 100ml in one spot with no problems. It was much easier to just do the one injection, and Suzie was much happier with that, although she was a very good patient anyway. I got a narrow tube from my vet that fixed to the needle and the end of the syringe and that helped too, because if they move slightly when you are syringng its hard to keep the needle in place, with the tube it gives you a bit more flexibility.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:34:33 AM »
agreed. It's not something that all vets are likely to agree to let owners do. Thanks very much for the info.

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19:18 AM »
An excellent post, maybe Tan could make this into a sticky that could possibly help others in the future.  Thanx for posting.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 00:21:33 AM »
Please dispose of used needles in a correct sharps bin. Needles shouldnt be discarded in the household rubbish.

I hope this may be useful

Philip x

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 00:20:07 AM »
You need to grab an area of skin to make a skin tent.

It doesnt matter where this is as long as you are able to make a good tent.

Bear in mind that the areas of skin towards the back of your furbabe are more sensitive to injections and so try not to inject there unless absolutely neccesary.

Once you have a skin tent, insert the needle horizontally to the skin tent. I am lucky in the fact that Tiffy tolerates this well and so doesnt really struggle but I cant say if other cats will be as tolerant. Be aware that sometimes the needle may pierce the skin but go through and out again. You may find that the skin is quite tough and some pressure may be needed to puncture the skin.

I give about 60mls each time giving 30mls in one site and then changing to another site.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 23:25:50 PM by cheekee_munkee »

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 00:15:44 AM »
I use a 50ml syringe but you may need to use a smaller 20ml syringe if you find it difficult to use a larger syringe.

One the injection port is cleaned, I draw up the required amount of fluid.

Unlike intravenous fluids, you dont have to worry about giving too fast or too much as the fluid gets absorbed over a period of 30mins to a few hours depending on the hydration status of the cat.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 00:24:58 AM by cheekee_munkee »

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 00:12:20 AM »
The injection port should be wiped and cleansed using an alcohol wipe. The bag of fluid should be stored in the fridge and warmed gently before use. As the whole bag isnt going to be used in one go, the injection port needs to be made as clean as possible before introduction of the needle.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 00:10:16 AM »
I use:

Lactated ringers solution (prescribed by vet)

50ml luer lock syringe

green colour needle

acohol wipes

sharps bin (dispose of needle safely)

The lactated ringers solution should be gently warmed before use. It shouldnt be warmed in the microwave. Best to take out of fridge a few hours before administration.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 00:23:01 AM by cheekee_munkee »

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 00:08:57 AM »
There are 2 ways to give fluids this way.

1) using a giving set and so giving via a drip

2) Giving a bolus of fluid via a syringe

I have chosen to give boluses via a syringe due to the kind of cat Tiffy is. It would be difficult to keep him still enough to be able to run a drip safely and effectively. Also it is easier to determine the actual amount of fluid given.

The first pic shows the equpiment I use

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 00:25:48 AM by cheekee_munkee »

cheekee_munkee

CRF - Giving subcutaneous fluids
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 00:05:08 AM »
Hi.

As you are aware, my tiffy has CRF and I have been taught by my vet to give Subcutaneous fluids at home.

I thought it may be useful to provide a guide as to how to do so.

Link to CatChat