Author Topic: Nerve damage and problems with urinating/pooing  (Read 14877 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Nerve damage and problems with urinating/pooing
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2014, 20:41:21 PM »
:hug: :hug:  You're bound to b worried, it's only natural, but gently does it.  It's still relatively early days and her body is still healing from what has been an emormous trauma.   I think its better simply to continue to monitor her, and not to intervene unless it's absolutely necessary.

Totally agree  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2014, 07:00:43 AM »
 :hug: :hug:  You're bound to b worried, it's only natural, but gently does it.  It's still relatively early days and her body is still healing from what has been an emormous trauma.   I think its better simply to continue to monitor her, and not to intervene unless it's absolutely necessary. 

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Lolita and Ragdoll
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2014, 19:02:04 PM »
I have left her for up to a week before without expressing her though and she's never overflowed and her bladder has never been excessively large (I don't think) Sorry - just can't help worrying!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2014, 18:35:01 PM »
Cross that bridge if it happens  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2014, 15:06:56 PM »
Well, that's what my vets said initially without examining her - as long as she's going, she's fine! I can't help but worry though, what if she retains too much urine in her bladder?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2014, 13:18:57 PM »
Sorry think only vet cn anser this one.

However my uneducated guess would be that as long as she is able to use the tray how ever frequently and is continent then probably no drugs are needed

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2014, 18:54:44 PM »
Hello everyone again!

Ragdoll is doing well, but I'm still concerned that she goes to the toilet frequently, and still does not completely empty her bladder by herself. I told the vets this and they think she's just going more often because she's extra sensitive, and to not be concerned as long as she is continent. However, I did a little research on the internet and found a condition called urethral sphincter hypertonus, which is described as this:

This happens when the muscles that relax to allow your cat to urinate don't relax.  Your cat has to urinate, but they cannot relax the sphincter muscle that will allow them to go.  In males, this can be a cause of urethral obstruction.  In females, you may just see them going in and out of the litterbox frequently.  There may not be any infection or inflammation present in the urine, but they can't fully empty their bladder when they are able to go, so they go much more frequently.  This can also be caused by spinal nerve damage such as being hit by a car, or severe spondylosis of the spine, which is a type of arthritis of the spine.

The treatment for this consists of drugs to relax the urethral sphincter muscle, and in some cases, especially with spinal damage, drugs to increase the contractility of the bladder muscles.  These are almost always lifetime treatments, if the urethral sphinter hypertonus is not temporary as a result of a UTI or urethral blockage.

All the symptoms sound exactly like her. I just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this condition with their cats, and will she really need to be on drugs for the rest of her life if she does have this? And how much will the drugs cost? She is due to have her jaw examined again on February 18th, so I'm going to query this with the vets. Just very worried about how much it's all going to cost if they need to re-examine her and everything - I'm still paying off her other vet bills!

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2014, 22:17:48 PM »
Thank you everyone - you're all so lovely!  :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:14 AM »

Really pleased to read the updates on this gorgeous girl.  May she continue to make good and steady improvement in the weeks ahead.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2014, 17:33:31 PM »
What a gorgeous girl  :Luv: :Luv: So glad she is improving  :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2014, 17:15:46 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2014, 15:47:59 PM »
She's a beauty  :Luv2:! I'm so glad she is doing well  :briggin:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2014, 15:47:04 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2013, 19:24:28 PM »
I'm so pleased too :D It's such a relief! Kay, it's not that she thinks she needs to wee and there's nothing there, she wees a lot, but when I express her there's still quite a lot of wee in her bladder, so it's like she can't completely empty it yet. I just wondered if it was worrying that she wasn't completely relieving herself.

She has been up to some photos :D She's really a very happy cat, surprising considering what she's been through

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2013, 14:50:14 PM »
Hi,

So pleased Ragdoll is weeing and poohing again.  Fingers crossed she will continue with her improvement.  Is the little patient up to anymore photos yet?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2013, 14:48:15 PM »
wonderful to hear she is doing so well, after all your worries about her

probably her bladder is still a bit sensitive, so she feels the urge to wee even when she doesn't really need to - though one of mine has always done several small wees a day, without having any health problems, so I think it can be just one of those things which vary from cat to cat 
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2013, 13:10:35 PM »
Hi everyone, just a little update on Ragdoll.

She is pooing fine now, and she urinates very often but not very much at a time. I know she's consciously weeing but is it normal for her not to completely empty her bladder? I still express her bladder occasionally.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
Hi SamMewl - thank you for the reply!

Ragdoll isn't incontinent, it's more the opposite really. She is weeing but it's only a small amount at a time, my issue is that I don't know if she knows she's weeing because although she's doing it in the litter tray, I suspect she's doing it when she is trying to poo (as mentioned previously) She still hasn't pooed (apart from the small hard lump on Saturday) but I realise that when cats are constipated it can take a while. Nevertheless, I've booked her in the vets tomorrow morning (her birthday!) to see if she needs an enema or something to get her bowels going. When she was staying at my vets, I was told that she passed quite a few stools, so I can only really see constipation being the cause. I'm hoping once we get that sorted she'll be on the road to recovery. I'm also not sure whether I should be expressing her bladder. She urinates probably about twice a day but as it's such a small amount, I'm not sure if there's much left in the bladder. I know some cats can go for ages without weeing, or pass very little urine when they do so it's difficult to know. I have tried expressing her, and only managed to get a little trickle so I'm pretty sure her bladder was almost empty. I do find too that it helps her to after I've tried expressing her.

It's such a difficult time. I never thought I'd ever be so worried about faeces and urine!

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2013, 01:08:41 AM »
Hi Lolarag - take it easy  :)
she and you have had a terrible time and you are doing everything for her. in cases like these the only thing you NEED is a good vet and it looks like you have one so leave a bit of the worrying for them!

we have had cats that have had nerve damage leading to toileting problems from RTA so i'll tell you a bit about my experience although every case is different. bobbin our yard cat had a serious rta leading to a leg and tail amputation. she does use a litter tray but often leaks when she is sleeping as the 'message' is not strong enough to reach here when she is asleep. our vet wondered how she could feel anything down there from her x-ray so she is doing ok. we also have a kitten Humphrey born with a mutation that means he has no tail (hiss spit at manx breeders but sorry i have too!) the severe version of the mutation that leads to no tail also causes nerve damage and he is occasionally doubly incontinent although does get some message through but has lead to him spending most of his time playing in a litter tray!

things we have tried 1. propalin. it 'tightens' the tubes and has good results with incontinence in dogs, which is your problem. it is only licensed for use in dogs. your vet 'may' try it with your cat if she continues to be incontinent and he and you are happy with the risk of it being less tested in cats.  it helped Bobbin a bit but she is so random with her accidents it was hard for us to tell exactly how helpful it was. our vet is very aware of current advances in medicines and is aware that if we could cure Bobbin its the difference between pottering around our centre and a 'proper' home, which is why she was very willing to try it. no-one wants to take on an incontinent cat

2. squeezing wiping etc! you can, if necessary, become an expert in emptying her bladders etc!. Once skilled you can empty her bladder twice a day which works with when you are at home. We find with Humphrey that he knows he needs to poo and goes to the litter tray but forgets/ doesnt feel its happening shortly after. so cleaning him up after is necessary. This it is quite a commitment (not so bad when you are a rescue with work experience students who what a real taste of working with animals! but actually quite a hard task when its just you)

she may heal completely, she may need a lot of care for the rest of her life or you and your vet may decide that the situation she is left in is not a good quality of life. it is difficult for us with bobbin and humpf - both are sweet and loving cats. so far they are managing but we are aware, especially with the youngster humpf that if he is dribbling urine and sleeping in poo he will be living with skin burns and infections. just now its not like that but if it gets that way we will be considering euthanasia but we will be doing it knowing we tried, we did what we thought was best for them and knowing that the blighters were loved.

i think its probably a good idea to let her heal, nurse her through this terrible experience and enjoy being with her now.

good luck  :hug:
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2013, 22:11:45 PM »
Can't help I'm afraid .... but just wanted top up the get well soon vibes  :hug:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2013, 20:22:11 PM »
I've noticed too that she keeps washing herself down there a lot, and I think when she does urine comes out then. Is that a good or bad sign?

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2013, 20:10:54 PM »
I know I shouldn't stress but I can't help it :( She's so miserable and I feel like there's nothing I can do to help her. Just gave her another dose of vetergesic and half of it went on me. I tried expressing her again earlier and there was a little bit so that makes me think there's nothing in there.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2013, 19:27:15 PM »
Stop panicking, relax and let things happen slowly.

If you are totally stressed she will be too.

Things will happen when her body is ready to let them happen.  She will be   able to go for about 3 without days without  any action and you must be very careful trying to express cos that can do real damage if not done right.

if she is not eating much there will be very little waste products produced but she needs fluids.

make sure you know when your vet is open over christmas.

sorry being brief cos cursor on the run

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2013, 14:28:21 PM »
I just tried to express her but didn't have any success - but then she went to her box and did a little wee. She didn't cover it though and still did it in the poo squat position so I still don't know if it just came from her trying to poo. I also think she's grumpy because she wants to come out and walk around. You can tell she's absolutely desperate to poo because she keeps scratching and squatting a lot, but I don't think she can 'push' as well as she wants to.

*Sigh* really hope this lactulose kicks in soon..

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2013, 13:49:07 PM »
In that case maybe there's not enough material in her gut to create another viable poo yet.

Painkillers are often the cause of constipation so keep on with the stated dose of lactulose but do let her rest and sleep, as this is the best healer for her.

Feed her on moist food, to keep the bowel hydrated. Grumpiness is often a sign of discomfort, and may not be a reaction to being messed about, so make her as comfortable as you can.

Have you heard of Zylkene? Its a natural milk based calmer that really helps with nervous or upset animals. If she's feeling stressed as a result of the numerous vet visits and meds, it might help her to cope.

Order direct from AnimedDirect, you just break the capsule and sprinkle over her food, it's tasteless so complete doddle to administer. I swear by it.

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/zylkene-capsules-priced-per-tablet-75mg.html

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2013, 13:22:32 PM »
The night she came back (20th) she ate a lot, yesterday she ate a little and she hasn't eaten anything yet today - but she is sleeping a lot (I think it's because of the stronger painkillers) She's drinking quite a lot though. She's quite grumpy at the moment too but I think that's with giving her all these horrible medicines.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2013, 13:11:01 PM »
He nerve damage may be sending confusing signals to her brain, or it may just be there is bladder weakness yet. Please don't panic. Relax and allow nature to take its course. The lactulose will only shift what is in the bowel, if her digestion is slow at the moment it may take a while to work through.

Is she eating normally? Drinking normally? Sleeping ok?

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for your support - you're helping me a lot more than you think!

So far today Ragdoll hasn't produced any more stools or urinated. I'm starting to panic now that she may have urinated only because she was trying to do a poo, but that doesn't make sense because she didn't urinate before she saw the vet yesterday and that's when her bladder was full - plus, it wasn't just a trickle. The only thing that's making me doubt she did a 'confirmed' wee is that when she did wee she was in the higher up 'poo' position, if you know what I mean? I still think she's very constipated, I've been giving her Lactulose since yesterday, does anyone know if it takes a while to kick in?

I am trying to stay positive, it's just very difficult. I can say without any doubt that this has been the worst week of my life.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »
Agree with the others and it needs to be a gentle slow process  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2013, 11:03:29 AM »
That's better  :) she's been through a lot and she may have some psychological scars as well as her physical ones.
Losing her tail may unbalance her for a little while and of course she's still got her memories of what happened when she was hit, so be prepared for the long run and, as Sue wisely says, take one day at a time.

Softly, softly...  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »
Lots of very sound advice already given.  Hope you're taking some reassurance, and is good that she's week's and looked on her own.  Shes been through a major trauma (as have you  :hug: and now she needs time to heal.  Take it one day at a time, and try not to pre-judge an outcome.  Hard thing, I know.   :hug:

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2013, 07:24:49 AM »
I can't imagine how stressed you must be feeling after such an accident. It's so heart-breaking when our little ones are ill or injured.

It sounds like she's making progress and just needs more time to heal and recover from her ordeal.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2013, 20:46:25 PM »
Just a little update: Ragdoll has done a small poo :D And she's weed (though she missed the litter tray) I'm surprised she weed so quickly considering the vet expressed her earlier today. I'm sooo happy! Should I be happy??? I don't know! Is she out of the woods??

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 17:58:15 PM »
I'll try to relax, it's just so hard not knowing what's going to happen :( I just want her to be well again.

Thanks again for all your help xxx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2013, 17:02:58 PM »
General anaesthetic almost always affected my cats toileting. Have a little patience now. Your stress levels are showing on here so it will also be likely to affect Ragdoll, try to relax and maybe her movements will follow naturally. :hug:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2013, 15:51:49 PM »
I know Gill, it's just that the vet said the operation shouldn't really effect her in that way. I took her to my local vets earlier and they seem to think she's still in quite a lot of pain and she seems a little constipated so that might be stopping her toileting. They've given me some stronger painkillers (apparently Metacam isn't too strong) and some Lactulose for her constipation, and hopefully her waterworks etc should get going in a couple of days time. Really praying that they do - no more vet trips (which seems to be really annoying her) and almost a certainty that she will get completely better!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 14:42:32 PM »
Thats the right decision then, very sad but she will do well just like Marys Bonnie  :hug: :hug:

The op may cause a brief set back with her toiletting probs as anesthetics do this, so dont worry  :hug: :hug:

I did warn you, some times it can take 2-3 days for them to use their trays again

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
They said she'd urinated and defecated at the vets... So I don't know what's up with her now unless it's an adverse effect caused by the op?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2013, 11:27:45 AM »
the scratching and squatting must mean she feels the urge to go, so that must mean the nerves are connected OK - if she can't go there must be some other kind of damage there, but - and I say this without any experience of such things - motor damage is surely better than nerve damage

good luck at the vets - it sounds as if there is plenty of hope she will make a full recovery in time
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Ragdoll came home last night - the vet didn't tell us how to express because she assumed that she would wee by this morning, and if she didn't we were to take her to a vet more local to us. Well, she hasn't wee'd or pooed :( She's been squatting and scratching in her litter tray a lot but still nothing. She's eating really well (wet food), has drank a little, and in general seems perkier than even before the accident. I have a feeling she might be constipated, but does anyone know why she hasn't wee'd yet? Is it possible she might not even need to go yet? The vet expressed her at about 1 yesterday when she had the operation and by the time we picked her up at about 6 on the evening she still had nothing in her bladder. Is it a good sign that she's scratching and squatting in the litter tray? She's booked in to the vets for an hours time but I just wanted to see what people's opinions on here were.

Link to CatChat