Author Topic: Cat proofing a garden  (Read 56094 times)

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
Re: Cat proofing a garden
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 22:12:43 PM »
Now, has anyone got any ideas about how to make an outdoor cat toilet? I always try to keep a few patches of garden newly dug over, and regularly cleaned, to encourage the cats to use those areas as a toilet and spare my neighbours. Obviously if all the cats are totally enclosed I would like to improve on this. Would some kind of sand pit be attractive to them for toiletting? There is no lawn, it is laid with paving slabs so I could lift one up and dig down to create a pit.

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 21:18:04 PM »
Tiggy's mum....that is absolutely blimmin' fantastic, thank you!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 21:14:12 PM »
I scanned this article from a cat magazine a few years ago on how to do a DIY cat fence...

Have scanned the relevant bits instead....

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 13:20:37 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 21:08:44 PM »
Some great ideas, thanks. But how do you bend those bars over, or cut them indeed?

I think the lady over on CC said they just used a hacksaw to cut the brackets - I've yet to try this myself  :-: and think actually, I may get someone to do it for me..... ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 14:34:40 PM »
we used a vice and a bit of force, they bend easilyish

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 14:33:50 PM »
Some great ideas, thanks. But how do you bend those bars over, or cut them indeed?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 13:46:23 PM »
The ones I've got are a bit longer I think, hence being able to cut them in half (hopefully)  ;)  .  The lady over on CC painted hers green to blend in with the garden - I think I'm prob going to paint mine black, so they look a bit like the black hanging basket brackets? possibly... :-:

Yes, these are the ones http://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-restraint-straps-1200-x-150mm-pack-of-10/74769 they are 1200 length

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 13:34:48 PM »
those are the straps we used Gillian they are about 1 metre long with the first 10 or so cms bent over, we did bend the other end over as well so they are probably about 60cms out from the fence, I though 80cms was a bit too much

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 13:29:06 PM »
A customer of mine used copper piping and deer netting.

For my catproofed area (not whole garden) I just got someone to make a timber framework with timber brackets with Twilweld mesh. I didnt have the brackets angled upwards as my cats arent particularly athletic and don't climb out over.

Over on Cat Chat someone catproofed their garden using metal brackets from Screwfix (called building restraint straps) and deer netting. This is the method I'm going to use for a new cat proofed area for my foster cats. The brackets already have one bent end, they are sawn in half to create double the amount of brackets and (apparently!) they are quite easy to bend. The deer netting is fixed to the brackets with cable ties and tacked to the top of the fence.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
don't have pictures anymore although I think some are posted somewhere

we got metal brackets from wickes and clematis netting on line the brackets are bent at a 45 degree angle when you buy them so we bent them upwards a bit more

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
Cat proofing a garden
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
I know there are companies out there that sell special systems...but am trying to look into ways to do it on more of a budget. Does anyone have pictures of something they have done themselves, and even more importantly details of the kind of brackets and mesh used?
Any help or advice would be welcome.

Link to CatChat