Author Topic: moving house.......  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
Re: moving house.......
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 13:32:59 PM »
I htink your brother just doesn't want to say goodbye to her...............she'll be fine if you follow the below.

Just to say don't forget to change your address with the microchip company
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 13:08:51 PM »
yes i think my bro is attatched to her. He always tries to get her to sleep on his bed at night! Sounds she will be ok when we move. Hoping to get a rescue cat aswell so that she has a friend. She is such a freindly girl, and she keeps trying to play with our older cat (who is going to stay at home as he has been there nine years) but he will have none of it. She always look so sad when he swats her and walks away from her!
Thanks again for the advice. Ill let you know how it goes, hopefully it will go ok.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 17:22:03 PM »
Hiya, I've moved house with my boy 4 times since he's been with me (long story  :Crazy:)

He's been fine every time, and he's also an indoor only cat so you could argue that environment is more important to him than say a cat that has outdoor access.

The indoor/outdoor issue is for you to decide as and when you move into the flat, but defo take kitty with you, a house aint a home without a kitty  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 14:33:36 PM »
Christina, I have moved three times since I left home around 14 years ago. Two out of my four cats have moved with me each time.

As long as you follow the guidelines set about moving house to ensure your cat doesn't get out and get lost in a strange environment, it should be alright. Although cats aren't big fans of change to their routine, they are able to cope with it and your little girl should be absolutely fine when you and she are settled in you new home. :)

A quick thought: Is your brother still at home? Just wondering if he's attached to your cat! ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 13:20:05 PM »
Yes she is chipped and spayed. Thanks for the advice. Ill definatley take her with me. Its still going to be  nerve wracking tho the first time she goes out totaly unsupervised! Thanks again.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 12:33:29 PM »
Id take her with me  :Luv:
At 8 months they are still very adaptable. The longer you keep her in when you move the better, is she microchipped? If not id do that just incase.

Offline rache

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:39:05 AM »
Hi,

If you're worried about her settling in you could try a feliway diffuser for the first three weeks until she's happy there. When we moved with my first cat the vet said firstly wait until you've unpacked and got everything in it's place before moving her (the chaos of moving can be unsettling). He advised to wait a few months until she was perfectly happy with the house, ie had explored every room and was getting curious about where the outside doors go to. Then we started letting her out, actually at dinner time for five minutes at a time and we'd coax her back in with a shake of the biscuit box!! Now (although she doesn't live with us any more as she's a country cat we left her with our parents when we moved to the city) she's in an out all the time.

If your kitten is settled, she knows where home is. Don't worry. As long as there's no busy roads it's totally natural for her to be out.

HTH

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:25:17 AM »
I agree - there should be no problem moving a kitten of that age who's never been out.  If she had been older and used to going outside then I might have said best leave her where she is, but in this case I can't see any reason why you shouldn't take her with you.

Sam has given you some good advice about letting her out.  When you let her out for the first time do so before a meal so that she's hungry and unlikely to wander far.  Of course, if you're worried about her going out you could always keep her as an indoor cat.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 22:12:58 PM »
I see no reason why you can't take your little one with you.  As long as you keep her indoors for at least 3 weeks she will be fine.  With regards to letting her out I know exactly what you are going through I have just decided to let Rossi outdoors and she is just coming up for 1 year old.  This weekend as the weather was so nice I decided she could have a little wander round the garden.  I stayed in the garden (sitting reading a book ... and keeping an eye on her at all times).  I left the back door open and just left her to her own devices ....  she had a little creep round and had a good sniff. When she started to show interest climbing the tree at the bottom of the garden I decided she had had enough for one day and took her back in doors.

My only advice would be little and often and while she is happy to go out on a lead and harness ..... stick to it.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
moving house.......
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 22:00:39 PM »
Hi everyone,
                     I am moving home in a few months out of my parents house and into my own place. I have a eight month old kitten, who i am planning to take with me. She has never been out before. I take her out in the garden with her cat lead, but shes still very playfull and small so ive never let her out properly as im too scared to. The problem is that my older bro thinks that it will be cruel to take her out of the home he says she is now settled into and used to. But i cant bear to leave her.
Is it cruel to move a cat? I didnt think so as shes never been out properly.
Also, when i do move, it is into a flat. Its ground floor, and in a quite area (made shure it wasnt on any main road), and has french doors opening up into a gravel, grass area. How would i go about letting her out there, as there is no safety of a garden to keep her in at first. Im just really worried that when i let her out she will not come back.
Do cats just know where there home is? This is really stressing me out, as i dont want to keep her in,  but i dont want to let her out!
Any words of advice would be greatly apreciated thanks.

Link to CatChat