Author Topic: Moving house and long car journey  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Moving house and long car journey
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 19:55:07 PM »
Haing moved our then 37 cats and 2 dogs I swear by Zylkene = a tablet a day in each food bowl on wet food and the cats seem to calm down - I have an awful lot of ferals and they all start life at the Clan on the stuff

We also had to drug some of our unhandlable ones to move and under the guidance of our vets used ACP Tablets - crushed in to Tuna in brine worked a treat and we got them all safely moved - of course I also had my darling Sweetie on her leopard bed in a harness which she slipped after 20 miles and slept in the footwell of the front passenger seat and only came to sit on my knee whilst I was weaiting on the nice lady from the solicitors coming down to the car with the hosue keys!

Feliway is good to and if possible get one plugged in at you parents for a couple of weeks before you arrive it works wonders to

Good luck with the move - I brought 8 in boxes in the car - to old or just good travellers and 2 dogs - OH had the rest in cages in a transit - mine was quieter the ragdoll woke up and serenaded her Daddy for 150 miles! :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 16:53:22 PM »
Pets at Home sell "Serene UM"  (its an over the counter kind of sedative) I have used this when I travelled with some of mine!  ;)

Each to there own though!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 16:54:28 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline dilly_dally

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 16:08:51 PM »
Thank you for your help. I am really dreading it! The older cat goes mental when we have to take her to the vets and it usually involves claws coming off in her bid to get out of the cage. I shall read some more into the reliway spray. I use rescue remedy for my nerves. Never knew you could use it on animals.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 22:00:37 PM »
I'd suggest the same feliway spray or rescue remedy rubbed into the back of the ears

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 21:32:27 PM »
Feliway Travel spray, sprayed on some of their toys and put them in their carriers.
Basically anything that smells of home.

Hope they settle in to their new home OK.

x
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~ Albert Schweitzer

Offline dilly_dally

• Kitten
Moving house and long car journey
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 21:13:10 PM »
Hello everyone, I am new here. Haven't posted an introductory message yet, but I will do asap.

I just need some advice really. I have two cats. One is 7 years old and the other is only a baby at 7 months old. I am going to be moving home soon, back to my parents. Thing is the journey is about 4 hours long by car. Both cats are nervous travellers. Is there something I can give to them to calm them down? I don't really want to go to the vets to sedate them if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Dilly x

Link to CatChat