Author Topic: epileptic cat  (Read 30514 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: epileptic cat
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 22:29:03 PM »
Hope Leo's going to be ok on the journey to your mum's next week David.

We had snow for one hour last week but it didn't stick.  Nothing but rain all day today - April showers all in one day I think.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 18:31:41 PM »
May tomorrow!

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 15:28:11 PM »
snowwwwwwwwwwwww................doesnt bear thinking about brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Yes, sadly. I had to go out to brush off the new trees before I left for work. It was about 1.5 feet deep and still snowing! It is May (okay a day or 2 off)! I hate Montana mountain weather!

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 15:16:01 PM »
sending lots of love to leo  :hug: :hug:

snowwwwwwwwwwwww................doesnt bear thinking about brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »
poor Leo, speaking from experience he is probably feeling pretty rough

sorry to hear about the power cut, snow yuk

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »
Well, had a bad start. Our power went out about 10:30pm/ I assume caused by the heavy wet snow on power lines somewhere. Then about 1pm Leo woke me with a seizure. His last grand-mal was only 15 days ago, which is not good. I was having a problem since it was dark and there was no power. Thankfully the power came back about 1:30am. It is now 4:45am and I am laying here with Leo. I tend to not go back to sleep after he has a seizure, so I guess I won’t be sleeping tonight.
His seizure was not as bad as the one 15 days ago,thankfully.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 07:12:45 AM »
Lovely photos  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yogi, Daisy, Skye, Tiggy, Sally & Charlie
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 23:30:17 PM »
Oh wow look at Leo! isn't he a handsome boy!  Andromeda and Orion look fantastic too.

As for Leo's bed, every epileptic cat should have one of those!  Amazing! How safe must they be in there!

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 23:07:05 PM »
Hi YogiDot,

The cups I use for Leo are heated (plug in) as he loves the warmth. Here is a shot of him in one

Here he is in a heated window sill bed

And this is him (and Orion) on the heated mat on themain couch.

And this is a live image (7am - 7pm MDT) of the computer room couch. THe mat tohte left is heated. THe rest are other beds. Often Leo will be on the mat.

Leo's balance issues are due to his brain damage. He can just fall over while walking. He can't run, and if he tries his back legs flop and he will either almost role head over heals or he will fall. So he cannot really run. He also has an odd stance.

Another of our cat's favorite beds is the cloud bed. Attached is an image of Andromeda in one.

I used to sell them, but they never sold well, even though I thought they were the bees knees, and so does our cats. So I have a bunch just sitting in a plastic tub wrapped in plastic. It was/is a shame that the best products I found are not always ones people are willing to get. Oh well.

David

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 22:54:15 PM »
I'm glad to hear that Leo is fine now.  And that the pheno has worked so well for him for so long!  That is really great to hear.

With the touching I think it is very cat specific and with Daisy her reactions to a fit often depend on the trigger.

Mostly Daisy fits late at night or very early in the morning, when she is sound asleep.  It almost seems as if there is some sort of build up of something in her and I get clues about when the fit is going to happen - she has a period of hyper-activity about a week before, then gets really lethargic and starts hanging her head a lot.  In fact I think she is just progressing towards one now. 

Sometimes loud noises trigger them, once a rock concert right outside our window (we've moved away from that area now) caused her to cluster fit.   With the noise triggered fits she is much more sensitive to outside stimuli and it is with those I have to be really careful about not triggering another by touching or even whispering to her.  I noticed once that a fading fit kicked off again when I brought my hand to within a few centimeters of her, when I removed my hand she calmed again.  It hurts like hell not being able to comfort her at those times.  I imagine each animal reacts differently and we just have to take it as it comes.

As it is only just over a year since Daisy’s diagnosis it is still early days with but currently the pattern is every 3 or 4 months.

Coolcybercat, what sort of balance issues does Leo have?  Daisy can fall off a 2cm high rug, and I mean really fall, right over flat on her side!  I have to be very careful about keeping her safe and we play special games to try to improve her balance and muscle tone.  Leo’s cup sounds amazing, any chance of a photo?

Gill, I had to laugh at the problems Franta is giving you with typing – Skye is beside me at the moment insisting that all mousies have to be caught, even odd looking ones in Meowmy’s hand  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 21:28:10 PM »
Franta isnt really diagnosed, its just a guess but the abs seem to work at present.

Interestly......ummmmm he has just arrrived lol.............Franta is also much more susceptable to having a seizure if i have been out all day and he is now almost glued to me all of the time.

most of time i dont see the seizure coming but hear it happening upstairs.....sigh

but the first one of the last lot, started while he was on my knee and took me a fraction too long to realize. luckily it was quite mild compareed to previos ones.

sorry for typos but trying to type sideways and stop him gripping me lol

its so great to exchange knowledge here  :hug:

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Replies
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 15:24:17 PM »
Hello all. Thanks for the well wishing for Leo.

Leo is a lot better from that big grand-mal. It generally takes him 24 to 48 hours to shake it off.

Gill: You are lucky that Franta gives you a good sign one is coming. It is possible Leo does as well, but since I adopted him (2000) every seizure except 3 have happened between 11:30pm and 4am. He sleeps on the bed with me, so every time it wakes me and I snap into action. The 3 times they happened in day hours: one I was at work in 2001 and he had it on the webcam my website runs. I figured what happened and ran straight home. The next time was while I was traveling and he had it in front of my girlfriend. The last time was middle of the day while I was at work. Beyond that there is no visible clue to one coming, though I seem to be able to sense them 48 to 5 hours before they happen. Not sure how I usually know since it is not a behavior change in him I can put my finger on.

Mary: Hi! I’ll respond soon to your email I have just been slammed this week again between work, sales and consulting and finalizing my tax return (I HATE tax day in the USA)

Puggy1975 Zoe: Yes, Leo is a lot better now, thank you for asking. :)

YogiDot: I suspect that by the time you reach this part of my post you surmised Leo is fine now. ;) He is on Phenobarb and has been on it since 1999. The level he is on keeps the grand-mals down to once every 2 to 3 months now, though he tends to have clusters when it happens. Lowering the phenobarb levels only causes far more frequent grand-mals and upping the dose does not seem to push them more than every 3 months but also just wipes him out.
On your points: Noise… Since they happen at night 99.9% of the time, I do not believe it could be more quiet or darker.
Touching: I would not put my fingers near his mouth or attempt to hold him down, but placing my hand on his side and quietly talking to him is something I believe allows him to know I am there. He could not be more cushioned as he sleeps in a 14 inch diameter cup with 6 inch walls. He is quit snug in there and loves his bed. We do have several as after a seizure they require washing.
Recovery: Leo has a lot more wrong than just the seizures. He was an abused kitten and also suffers some brain damage, balance issues and more. Trying to get him to take food when he is seizureless is challenge enough. He has a very hard time finding the food and getting it out of the bowl without often chewing on his cheek or lip. :( He is very disoriented after for a while, and between each grand-mal when they cluster, but I have learned how to help him through this. Once he has the seizures (whether or not I call my vet into his office at 3am) I will stay up with him until he falls asleep again. Usually that means I stay up the rest of the night.
If I ever leave on a trip and am gone more than 48 hours, the likelihood of a grand-mal becomes 100%. It is strange. So if I go on a trip he comes now. He handles the air travel and new place far better than my not being around. I guess he is very bonded to me. Actually he is flying from here (Montana USA) to New Jersey next month with us. A 10 hour+ day from leaving our home to arrival at my moms door, but he is such a trooper, and he LOVES my mom’s home and being the only cat there.

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 15:08:14 PM »
Hi Gill,

It is great to find somewhere to talk to others who care for cats who have fits; it is so terrifying when it happens.  It is good to hear that Franta’s underlying condition has been diagnosed and is responding to treatment.  I’ll read your diary thread with great interest.

Our Daisy’s epilepsy is thought to be cryptogenic (no known cause) possibly idiopathic (inherited) but we do not know enough about her family history to ever be sure with that one.  It is probable that her fits began when she was less than a year old.  She was re-homed at least twice in her first year, poor little mite.

I’m very interested to read about Franta’s blood sugar tests, I’d often wondered about that; now I’m wondering what the increased appetite is all about.  Daisy also eats anything, frantically, post fit.   I’m lucky in that my tom cat appears to have taken Daisy into his special care when she “has the shakies” and will let me know if anything is wrong. I'm blessed  :)

Jill

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 00:34:08 AM »
Yogi, so wonderful to have another owner with a cat having seizures.................I mean for help and comparison  rather than good cos your cat has etc  :-[

Franta has seizures but is not diagnosed with epilepsy but the thing about food is bang on and both Zoe and I have discovered this, Franta was actually tested for his sugar levels at the vets, the only time he had a seizure in sight of a vet and she said that his sugar level did not drop. He does however devour a dish of cat food , lumps and all and he will not touch a lump normally.....sigh

There is a thread on hear all about Franta and his case history from the first time he started acting strange, its a very long thread and if you look in the thread stats its there and can be accessed from there.

I have found that talking to Franta gently seems to help and its very quiet here but have learned not to attempt to touch him cos its very dangerous.

Because of Frantas age..........nearly 17 now.........he was not able to have mri and tests but is treated at the time by injections for 7 days of a very powerful anti-biotic and his last bout was in early feb but he only had 3 seizures ansd one was brought on by a very stressful visit to the vets and 10 mins after we arrived back. But for the first time since he was taken ill a year ago the seizures were very mild. he is being gtreated as for a brain infection, rather than epilepsy...........and it sems to be working but hius seizures are the same as an epileptic cat so i aam interested in everything that maybe helpful.

thank you for posting  :hug: :hug:

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 23:28:05 PM »
I hope Leo is doing ok?

Our cat is also has epilepsy, now well controlled with Phenobarbital and, if the way she was chasing butterflies round the garden today is anything to go by, she now has a great quality of life.

Daisy is about 2 now and was diagnosed with epilepsy just over a year ago. Initially her Grand mal episodes were every 2 weeks, (2 or more fits in a 24 hour period) or so but she had petite mals much more frequently.  Her grand mals are now once every 3 months or so and she rarely clusters (has multiple fits in a short space of time) and the petite mals are very rare now.

A few pointers I've learned after living with a young epileptic cat which may be of interest are:-

1.  As soon as a fit starts turn off all lights and sound sources.  Keep the room as quiet as possible.
2.  Do not touch or talk to a fitting cat.  Ensure safety by using cushions as buffers, but it is important that your own physical energies do not come into contact with the cat, this can prolong the fit or trigger another.
3. Once recovery has reached the stage of the cat moving and/or vocalising, offer food.  I've never risked a blood test but I'd swear that Daisy's blood sugar levels plummet after a fit. Cuddles and re-assurance may be sought/offered at this point but take your cue from the cat.
4.  A post fit cat may wander about a bit in a disoriented fashion.  Try offering covered beds/cardboard box beds.  The cat will soon settle for a long sleep.  Again it is important to keep the room where the cat is sleeping quiet and dark.  A baby monitor is useful for keeping a check on a recovering cat without disturbing it and risking further fits.  A feliway in the room really seems to help
5.  Don’t give up on the pheno.  It is awful at first but if your cat eventually learns to handle it and once the dose is right, the results can be fantastic.   

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 19:40:40 PM »
Really hope Leo doing well??

Zoe & Ollie
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 10:28:27 AM »
How's Leo doing now David?  hope he's ok. :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 23:36:34 PM »
Hi David, got your PM and have read all this post - so sorry Leo isn't himself at the moment.  :Luv2: :hug:

Don;t worry about catching up on emails - you and Donna concentrate on Leo and we'll speak later.

It's so nice that you and Gill and Zoe can compare notes - I adore Franta - he's Bonnie's boyfriend - when you have time see: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,11972.msg203644.html#msg203644

Mary

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 19:24:59 PM »
So sorry that Leo has been ill again and what you describe is just like what has happened to Franta in the past.....last time in Feb his seizures werfe the mildest I have seen and he only had 3 and one was brought on by a stupid vetm but luckily happened 10 mins after we got back into house, cos one in the car is just the most terrible thing.

Franta drools every where and that is often the sign that one is starting, together with teeth chattering. The howling at the end is terrible.

I do hope that Leo stabalizes quick cos it is so exhausting being in this situation  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Leo had his worst seizure since I adopted him...
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 16:16:21 PM »
Boy am I tired.  It is often funny how things work. I was thinking to myself yesterday that I was so happy that Leo has not needed an enema in 5+ weeks! Also he has not had a seizure in quite some time, and I was wondering if he would have another soon or the trend may continue. I suppose I should not have given it thought in the end. He woke me about 12:30ih in the morning with what I believe to be the most violent grand-mal he has ever had in my company. The shaking did not register right away as I was in some moronic dream that had Merv Griffin chasing me down a long white tiled hall and I was tossing bars of soap behind me in hopes of causing him to slip and fall, but I digress. It took me a bit to wake and clear the fog enough to reach out to him, perhaps 30 seconds had passed. I flipped on the light and placed my hand on his side while he was thrashing and I was telling him it was okay and I would help. It seizure, being abnormally violent, lasted perhaps another minute to 90 seconds, giving him 1.5 minutes or 2 minutes of his worst seizure I know of. Normally Leo does not foam at the mouth, but as he thrashed I realized it looked like someone put shaving cream all around his mouth. When the grand-mal stopped, he let out the longest yowl I ever heard from him and it was really loud and gurgled. Then his front legs began to twitch, or make a paddle motion, but it was not a seizure. This one was just not normal for him and I opted to call the vet into the office right away. While I waited for the vet to return my call I gave him some valium, since his norm is 2 or 3 grand-mals I decided to attempt to nip the others in the bud before they had a chance to manifest. We took him to the vet’s office shortly after and spent a while there. He checked out no different than normal, other than he just had his worst seizure ever and he was drooling. He did start into a period where he has the petite-mals that lead into the next grand-mal, but the valium seems to have done it’s intended job and the petite-mals did not escalate into multiple grand-mals for the first time in a long while. We got home about 3:30am and after a little while I got Leo to remain in his bed and I was able to go to sleep.

This morning he was excited to get up, though a bit wobbly on his feet. He was eager to eat and gobbled all his food right down and then managed to have a bowel movement, which pleased me since it means another day or two enema free. Over all he is doing well today, though you can tell a bit tired.

I so badly wish that I did not feel so darn helpless each time he has one. You would think that after 10 years you would get used to them and it would not phase you all that much, but that is just not the case.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »
Poor little love, your vet should hopefully have an idea whether the meds have trigger it off or maybe the stress of the illness? hope you get it sorted anyway  :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 21:08:08 PM »
It started about a month after the meds but it comes and goes it's very strange. He been ok for a while but now it's worse than e er his poor skin is
getting red raw worse than it was on the very high dose of meds. Could be
unrealted . Will speak to vet. It's hard as we trying not to mess with him cause of blood tests
and dose change in meds . Meds have gonedown quite a bit

zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 20:25:39 PM »
Good news about the bloods but such a shame he's so aggrevated with his skin  :( I wonder whether the reduction in meds will help the skin - did it start when he went on the meds?

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 19:58:26 PM »
Well Ollies blood tests came back today and average level of pheno in blood should be 160 and he is 179 so his meds getting reduced again so quite pleased. well very please. Just a slow reduction so he going fromk 1 tab twice daily to 3/4 a tab twice daily and he will get blood tests done again in 2 weeks time. Hopefully he will stay seizure free. Tink he will be ok just now but as the levels drop thens when it will get scary

Also worried about his poor we skin. Its ike torture to him with all the scratching so I have had to put him back on the sterods. its a lot for him with the pheno and the steroids but his quality of life must come first.

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 14:40:45 PM »
Onwards and upwards for Ollie, this is all sounding so positive  ;D

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 15:55:16 PM »
Thanks everyone. Its just a waiting game now to see how he goes. The vet wants him to loose a we bit weight so we will be visiting the vet every couple weeks so everything is controlled, Thankfully Ollie likes his trips to the vet
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 17:18:05 PM »
That's great news  ;D

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 14:53:12 PM »
That is great news!

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
Got some good news on Ollie today. His latest blood test have come back and the level of the Phenobarbital is still high. As Ollie has not had any more fits the vet is reducing his tablets to One tablet twice a day now. And hopefully from now on start to reduce it every few weeks til we get a lever that will be low enough but still control the fits.

So So happy. Also he no longer needs the steroids as the lumps and bumps seen to have gone. Got some on hand in case it starts up again but so happy my we boy is getting a lot less drugs in him.

Hopefully he will get a bit steadier on his back legs. Ollie will be a happy boy 

Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 18:35:44 PM »
Hi went to see the vet today re Ollie and the lumps and bumps appearing again. The vet who deals with Ollie was not in but I have been given more steriods for him as that worked. I left a message for the vet as she wants updated with everything that happens, there is a ggod possibility it is an allergic reaction to the medication but the steriods certainly helped

Hopefully though if all goes ok with him in next 3 weeks come his blood tests they will try and reduce the medication to 30mg per day instead of 45mg per day and hopefully the itching and lumps may reduce. It does state in the leaflet with the tabs that can be a side effect. Will just need to take things day by day with him. The steriods takie the discomfort out his itching and stops him being distressed so i am happy enough with that for now til we can get a long term solution if the lumps and itching continues. They will monitor it closely so i am happy enough. Just dont want my boy in any more discomfort or stress
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
Do hope that vet will help and does she think he is allergic to the meds? That be terrible if he is  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
Poor Ollie  :( it must be awful for him, thankfully your vets sound to be great, hope they can sort this out for him  :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
Just woke up this morning and his we skin is a lot worse. His we head is all covered in blood where he has scratched all the original places that came up in lumps. It is distressing him and thats the last thing i want so will pop down to the vets at 9am when its open to see what they say. the vet has been amazing and she calls me regularly to check up on how Ollie is doing. I think as well as epilepsy is rare they are interested in progress also she really caring and i guess they can probably learn a lot from it.

When Ollie was at hospital they asked if i signed a form to use his blood tests and other tests for research so i think that was a good thing also. Hopefully in future may help other kitties

Re the scratching the hospital were happy with the steroids so once i speak to the vet will see if she suggests that again, dont want him suffering any more

regarding the soft claws i used to work with www.petplanet.co.uk and they thought about selling them and i was personally against them as they dont seem natural and they are not really liked in the UK which caused a lot of anger in customers so they decided not to sell them

i do feel steroids prob best option but i am not a vet so will see what vet says today and update later. Everything the vet does she checks out with his neurologist as they are far maore specialised than the vet

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 06:46:44 AM »
better than soft claws or what ever, is to stop the itching and if a steroid worked before that would be best.

I am someone who has a skin problem that itches and I think its cruel to try and stop someone or a cat not being able to scratch cos they will find away it doing it anyway. Its torture when you itch that bad.

Totally agree Gill I suffer eczema and the itching is torture for me without a steroid spray

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 23:09:53 PM »
Yes, but given a choice of scratching and ripping off skin or soft claws? If the vet is uncaring about more steroids then that is a better option say, but if they rather not for some unknown reason? I still believe Soft Claws can be an option. Though the idea of the Pheno causing that kind of itching is destressing in itself. :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 22:04:10 PM »
better than soft claws or what ever, is to stop the itching and if a steroid worked before that would be best.

I am someone who has a skin problem that itches and I think its cruel to try and stop someone or a cat not being able to scratch cos they will find away it doing it anyway. Its torture when you itch that bad.

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 20:51:56 PM »
Hi Zoe,
No, I never noticed Leo itching a lot. But if he did I do not think he could do much about it since his original (abusive) owners decided to 4 paw declaw him. :( He does love me to brush him with a slicker though, especially under his chin. He will raise his head/chin up high if I say "chin chin chin" and he then expects a bood brushing there.

If Ollie is scratching himself bloody, you may want to consider a nonmedical temporary solution. I hate to say it because so many people seem to be against it here, but Soft Claws will cap the sharp claws so he cannot do any damage to himself. I know others use them for this reason. I use them from time to time when Nova and Orion go at it all the time, it protects them from hurting each other with claws. And it is an inexpensive solution that can last 3 to 6 months. :) If interested you can find them on eBay and I think there is a UK site called SoftClaws.co.uk too, but not sure.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 20:41:57 PM »
Update on Ollie, the vet called me tonight to say blood tests are expected level for the phenobarbitol and if he is still stable in 4 weeks she will reduce his medication to 30mg per day and not 45mg as it is just now and see how he goes. Think the tablets are making him itchy though. He had steriods and his skin cleared up and think they are out his system now and the itchiness is starting again.

David have u ever noticed itching in your Leo. It just started tonight again and he all cut again so will call the vet tomoro
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 19:30:32 PM »
Hi David what Gill says is corect as i have been keeping her updated on tests etc and updates. I am keeping a aily diary on his behaviour and any changes and letting vet know everything. the vet is contacting the neurologist at  the hospital if she has concerns as this as u say is not common and the vet does not have all the knowledge required but any concerns they have they check with hospital

For the first few weeks Ollies quality of life was pretty non existant. but certainly over the last few days he has started to become himself. the vet is doing blood tests every two weeks at the moment to keep eye on liver etc and when they know he has stabalised a bit they will try and reduce the medication but it will be trial and error an we dont know how he will be on reduces dose

every change i see in him i am nervous for him. living on my nerves as its so hard exactly how Gill has been feeling. Its been a great comfort for me being able to speak to gill as not many people understand

zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 21:42:25 PM »
The dose is 45mg a day, half in morning and half at night and he didnt have a life last week but Zoe has just posted that he is improving all the time and he is now a different cat to last week. Still away to go though

Link to CatChat