Author Topic: Home visit needed ( Lowestoft )  (Read 19070 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Home visit needed ( Lowestoft )
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2009, 20:05:57 PM »
Thank you Sharon :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2009, 17:36:14 PM »
Sorry i have not read the whole thread here as it seems to of gone of topic abit..! However, has the lady trying to organise a HC for Lacie contact the local Cp branch! Our branch willingly does HC for other rescues (Persian rescue, other rescues that are not part of CP)..  I have no dealings with CP branches outside of the Kent area but i am sure that they would be willing if you explained the situation.. I dont know the whole story myself.. so this may not be what you are hoping for..

BTW not sure if anyone knows.. but CP HQ has recentlly come up with HC guildelines for branches and the public. OUr branch has a "manual" of our own, which i did let CP HQ see and it would seem they have used a few of our policy information. There publication is much posher then our.. A downloaded version of the HC guildelines for the general public has been put on our website (Under Home a Cat) scroll down... As i cannot see us posting it on to people that contact us.. Anyhow not sure if that helps or not!

BTW by doing HC for one branch, rescue, it usually means they return the favour in the future. Which is why.. as a branch we have managed to HC and rehome cats way outside our area.. Kirst 2 boys are a case in point and so is Rae who has Melissa. Both rehomed miles away from us.. I know that some branches of CP are so old fashioned that they cause a right palaver asking for one and also some flatly refuse. But they will in the future have to join the gang of doing there bit to rehome any cat, not just the ones in their care..

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2009, 12:57:42 PM »
I am sorry that you couldnt find someone to do the homecheck, is there no way you could drive, take her with you and do the homecheck that way?
Please spay your cat

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »
As i didnt recieve the help i requested and was put in the wrong for trying to organise a HC via a Purrs person i have been trying to do it another way but not having any luck, no-one is returning e-mails/calls so it looks like Lacie will be staying with me

Not by everybody Bonnie - I think the vast majority backed you

At the end of the day the decision is yours and yours alone - do not let anybody bully you

Take care   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2009, 01:15:45 AM »
Hope something turns up!  ;) :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2009, 21:20:06 PM »
As i didnt recieve the help i requested and was put in the wrong for trying to organise a HC via a Purrs person i have been trying to do it another way but not having any luck, no-one is returning e-mails/calls so it looks like Lacie will be staying with me

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2009, 17:29:57 PM »
Yvonne, I think they're still trying to organise one.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2009, 16:27:25 PM »
Can somebody please provide an update regarding Lacie?  Was the homecheck carried out?

Hope Lacie has a nice home for Christmas

:thanks:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2009, 13:55:10 PM »
Thanks for clarification, Julie. Wouldn't the agreement have been that the cat was indoor/outdoor though, so surely some suitable way for him to come and go should be established? D'you know what, you can PM me about all this if you want.....I feel bad taking over a thread about something else entirely. ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2009, 12:56:57 PM »
Nope, not at all, JS.  :shy: CP can use the signed adoption form as a basis for action to reclaim the cat we rehomed if the adopter is not honouring the agreement, but CP have no powers of seizure or prosecution I'm afraid... not even when the cat came from us.  :( In practice if an ex-cat of ours was being mistreated in its new home we would ask the RSPCA to intervene.  :innocent:

Sorry about being off topic as well but this question needed answering.  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2009, 12:48:46 PM »
The CP claim they've spoken to him and there's nothing they can do.

Unfortunately the CP can only advise, they have no powers in law to enforce any type of animal welfare.

Even when they've placed a cat themselves? That actually surprises me quite a lot.

Sorry, BL not on topic at all!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2009, 19:34:51 PM »
just a thought though.  couldnt this have been discussed in another thread instead of stampeding over BL request for help?

Fair point. ;)

And thanks for clarifying, Gill. :) If I'm not a nosey parker about homes cats are going to, Nicky is. ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2009, 19:24:03 PM »
The CP claim they've spoken to him and there's nothing they can do.

Unfortunately the CP can only advise, they have no powers in law to enforce any type of animal welfare.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline hales

• Adult Cat
  • our lovely kitty
    • my website
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2009, 18:55:22 PM »
[

[/quote]
I too am now getting out of this thread too cos its all getting far too over the top especially as the home check couldnt have been done anyway.
[/quote]

im out of here too. i really cant help that things happened with willow and oliver and it seems more cats will be PTS  or remain homeless if people arent willing to give people the chance to help.  be it as homecheckers, transport or fosters/newhome.
like i said before, if i just wanted another cat i could go on gumtree, preloved,ad trader and within the hour i would have a free cat.  surely the fact that im willing to be homechecked and keep contact with BL
proves the fact that i am a responsible pet owner?
surely if i was unsuitable i wouldnt want people looking through my home and looking at my pets now would I.
i dont want any futher involement with this disscussion so am leaving the thread,

just a thought though.  couldnt this have been discussed in another thread instead of stampeding over BL request for help?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2009, 18:43:45 PM »
Everybody feels sensitive over all that happened last week. But before Capone was placed with TB I was in contact with her via PM for quite a while, and I still get regular updates about the handsome lad, including pictures so I can see how loved he is.

About this Js!

Hales I hope you are able to get Lacie or another cat, its just that the timing was wrong when the original post came up, that was nobodys fault at all, not BL, not Helena, and not yours.

I too am now getting out of this thread too cos its all getting far too over the top especially as the home check couldnt have been done anyway.

Offline hales

• Adult Cat
  • our lovely kitty
    • my website
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2009, 18:30:34 PM »
if i knew that offering to help a cat was going to cause so much hassle i wouldnt have bothered! :Crazy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 18:26:41 PM »
We can't judge all rescues on what has happened or we would never home cats till we had iron clad contracts and homes rechecked every week - in an ideal world that would be wonderful but it just doesn't happen even in CP Ela

Agreed. Am currently experiencing trouble with an ex stray placed by CP on the next road to me. He regularly tries to get in( or gets in) our house and this is obviously disruptive for my cats. I contacted the owner and he refuses to put in a cat flap despite shutting his cat out in all weathers. (He claims he doesn't - but the cat in question tried to get in on a particularly frosty day THREE times.....)The CP claim they've spoken to him and there's nothing they can do.

.... that is nothing to do with me and what JS knows or doesnt know, I am not a party to.

Sorry, bit confused....with regards to what? ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2009, 18:10:27 PM »
Liz it was not my decision whether Helena did the home check or not, its Bonnielasses.

Bonnielass had it in her power to ask Helena or not.

All that has been said on this thread is that after a week ago maybe more care will have to be taken for fostering etc.....some will some wont but its their choice not ours.

Yes I did take Tina to Moira because I knew about what she was involved with at home and about Truman. It was thought about very carefully off forum.

Moira post regularly on Purrs and we have seen all the pictures and I have met her and spoken to her on the phone and off forum. I made a decision about Tina and stick with it and its not fair to drag Moira into something which is not about her.

If a decision has not been made about Lacie, that is nothing to do with me and what JS knows or doesnt know, I am not a party too.

Every person has to account for their own decison making and I am not responsible for any of it, unless its mine, likewise for yourself and others.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2009, 16:17:22 PM »
I have to back Helena on this I'm afraid she could have easily done the homecheck - I'm sure she is more than capable in fact having got her darling Capone am sure this puts her in a very good position

Gill you took Tina to Moira's without having met her and yes Moira is a good person but so was the other person before all this came to light

I have never been formally trained but have homed over 100 of my former fosters to lovely homes and still get cards to this day including Onyx and Orion who are now in New Zealand

I do dog rescue homechecks and know what to look for and what not to look for why because I have dud fences and due to our crew only bring Puppies in so9 the cats can train them

I hope BL can get Lacie in to a lovely home before Christmas but if not I'm sure she will stay with BL till the right thing can be done

We can't judge all rescues on what has happened or we would never home cats till we had iron clad contracts and homes rechecked every week - in an ideal world that would be wonderful but it just doesn't happen even in CP Ela
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2009, 09:12:05 AM »
In our branch we usually select (ask) those we feel would make good home checkers and like to use people who we have known for a while. We have a home check trainer who has been a fosterer for more years than I can remember and is very experienced. Any potential home checker goes out with her until they and indeed her feels comfortable for them to go it alone. Having said that all potential new owners have already been spoken to at length so a home check is not even offered if it is thought there is no point in a home check.

CP do have home check guidelines although as with everything there are grey areas and nothing is black and white. Gut feeling always comes into it, although our feeling is very important and no matter how nice a person is we have a responsibility to our little ones to get it right. a cats interest is paramount. Even friends and relations are home checked by a someone who is unknown to them.

We would never ask anyone who is not experienced to do a home visit and certainly not allow anyone who we don’t actually know to do one for us no matter how urgent it is to re-home a cat.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2009, 23:49:40 PM »
I'm extremely saddened by the end result of this thread. A home check was offered by a known member of the site who obviously cares a great deal for her own cat and as far as I know vet details were passed on to Bonnielass. No, tigerbaby isn't a home checker with a "recognised" rescue; but in all honesty I think a lot of the big rescues are not particularly that great. That's not to say that some of the people within them don't do some worthwhile work; but the same can be said of smaller, less known organisations.

I hope Lacie gets to be in her new home for Christmas and wish BL luck in organising things.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 23:50:24 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2009, 22:33:14 PM »
Thank you Helena i really appreciate that you were willing to do this for me,Lacie and Hales, :hug:

This thread can be closed as i wont be posting again asking for help to get Lacie her forever home

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2009, 22:00:52 PM »
Sorry for my bad language. That's why I put the Censored kitty up.

The thread really rattled my cage, not only because I read a lot of very narrow minded and negative comments but also because I remember the kerfuffle I had to go through adopting Capone when most rescues made me feel I was an unsuitable owner because I wanted to adopt an indoor cat after losing my cat to the road. Thankfully people like JackSpratt exist, who could base her judgement on what she knew about me, what she has seen and read on here and on Facebook, trusted her intuition and let me adopt Capone, a victim of RTA with a smashed pelvis, fresh out of surgery from his tail amputation). He is now a very happy kitty living on the countryside and very much loved.
I guess my point is, I would've thought people on this site would be more encouraging when fellow members want to get involved in home checking, and not the opposite.

It's a bit hard not taking it personal when most, if not all of you, know this is something I would be very much capable of doing, not just because you all (should) know how much of an experienced cat owner/lover I am, that I have first hand experience with a special needs cat, and that I am not ''just a person on the internet'' who ''dabble''. I find those comments very arrogant and undermining. I mean what does it take to do a home check? A freaking degree in rehoming? I have been in contact with BL who sent me a list of things to check for, I have actually volunteered at 2 different rescue places too, at both I have experienced a home check first hand and I even sat through an introduction lesson on this very subject at Mayhew Animal Home. I have just never done a home check on my own.

As it happens I'm not going up to Lowestoft today so you will be pleased to know the job will probably go to an experienced person within an organized rescue.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 23:44:13 PM by JackSpratt »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
Everybody feels sensitive over all that happened last week. But before Capone was placed with TB I was in contact with her via PM for quite a while, and I still get regular updates about the handsome lad, including pictures so I can see how loved he is.

Ultimately, it's noones decision but BLs, hales and Tigerbabys. I agree with trigger that we can't go so far the other way we descend into paranoia and no cats are homed for fear of making a mistake. I wish BL all the luck trying to organise a homecheck and hope that Lacie is safe in her new home in time for Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 23:50:44 PM by JackSpratt »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
please maintain the standards on purrs concerning bad language.

i think helena that you are ignoring everything thats has happened in the last week and should not see this as an attack on you.

its bls decision, not ours whether you do a home check and it seems that she has chosen for you not to do it, so please do not attack us.

all that has been said on this thread is that in view of the last week maybe peeps must take more care, nothing else.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 08:05:58 AM »

I think it's absolutely hypocritical that it's all of a sudden so  :censored: out of order for someone like me (an active member for a long time, experienced cat owner, with a special needs rescue cat of my own) to carry out a home check. ESPECIALLY when I adopted from Blackpool Cats in Care - through this website-  WITHOUT ANYBODY EVEN DOING A HOME CHECK ON ME.

Seems like a contradiction in terms.

Reminds me of the  :censored: I had to go through to get a rescue cat in the first place. Sometimes trying to do good things for the world just backfires right back in your face!

My sentiments exactly, seems if your face fits your in but some of us always remain outsiders

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:18:00 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 07:21:13 AM »
I still maintain that for the sake of cats, "we" can't afford to be casual about things any more. It isn't any kind of personal attack on anyone and I would expect anyone with cats interest at heart to realise this - ie  like Brambles attitude in the Derby homecheck thread. I think it is sad that people with the cats interest at heart are being made to feel like they are causing trouble and attacking people rather than being extra cautious after the events of the last week. Another thing is there are so many different types of special needs - it isn't a general condition. My mum cared for her blind cat for 12 years and there were so many issues - not only things like never moving furniture, but other things such as weight control  due to lack of exercise, needing 24 hour cat sitting if she had to be away overnight etc etc.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hales

• Adult Cat
  • our lovely kitty
    • my website
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 06:53:27 AM »

Reminds me of the  :censored: I had to go through to get a rescue cat in the first place. Sometimes trying to do good things for the world just backfires right back in your face!

thanks  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:57:34 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 03:29:50 AM »
Have pm'd you TB!!!  ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 03:19:06 AM »
@ Tigerbaby!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 03:17:44 AM »
This thread was just brought to my attention.

I think it's absolutely hypocritical that it's all of a sudden so  :censored: out of order for someone like me (an active member for a long time, experienced cat owner, with a special needs rescue cat of my own) to carry out a home check. ESPECIALLY when I adopted from Blackpool Cats in Care - through this website-  WITHOUT ANYBODY EVEN DOING A HOME CHECK ON ME.

Seems like a contradiction in terms.

Good luck finding a good home for the poor little cat.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:56:32 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline hales

• Adult Cat
  • our lovely kitty
    • my website
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 20:22:11 PM »
this does sadden me though

I think if I were in Hales' position I wouldn't take it personally, but I would be mightily discouraged

thats exactly how i feel,
im not taking it personally i understand that feelings are running high

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 20:15:02 PM »
Oh dear, sometimes the hole gets deeper...

I wasn't actually posting on Purrs at present (apart from the auction) because I'm really not well and can't cope with any upset.  

Hales, I don't wish in any way to imply that you can't provide a good home, you sound very nice and genuine - and I myself have enquired about adopting a cat from another part of the country before that I fell in love with.

However, as a general comment, I think that when a cat's welfare is at stake, I just dont' think you can take things on trust (although I appreciate no system is completely foolproof) and I stick by my original observation.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 20:10:20 PM »
Yes I agree Trigger, but after all its all about the cats  ;)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 20:06:00 PM »
this does sadden me though

I think if I were in Hales' position I wouldn't take it personally, but I would be mightily discouraged

it's a very fine line we tread here
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 20:02:43 PM »
 it means there was a wicked person who fooled people into thinking they were animal lovers and i honestly think that on the whole people on here are animal carers and not out to decieve.

we hope to become valued members of the cat rescue world.

Its nothing to do with you as a person Hales  :hug:

The thing in question was partly down to the rescue as they had failed to do the propper checks, so not just one person duping everyone  :shy:- all people are saying is things need to be done by the book for the sake of the cats  :)

I hope you BL and Helena get this sorted  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline hales

• Adult Cat
  • our lovely kitty
    • my website
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 19:55:03 PM »
changes  :Crazy:

Offline hales

• Adult Cat
  • our lovely kitty
    • my website
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 19:48:55 PM »
listen.  i am totally aware of what happened to poor willow.  it was terrible and i as much as anyone was angry.  to treat any animal (or person come to that)  in that way is discusting and i hope justice is served.  so i totally understand the thoughts of people

i am however not like that. the welfare of all my pets are as important to me as that of my children.  because there has been a terrible incident it doesnt mean the re-homing system/ fostering system has failed at all.  it means there was a wicked person who fooled people into thinking they were animal lovers and i honestly think that on the whole people on here are animal carers and not out to decieve.

lets be honest if i wanted a cat all i had to do is logg in to preloved or ad trader and there are loads free to good home.  i could have a house full with no home check.  as many as i wanted. 
my husband i beleive we can offer lacie or someone like her a loving and safe home.

we hope to become valued members of the cat rescue world.  we have thought about starting our own cat rescue as there sees to very little here.  but finacially its not viable at the moment. so we will help  those we feel able to until something cahnges.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 19:53:35 PM by hales »

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 19:23:53 PM »
I am sorry if I have offended you Bonnielass, and Hales - I didn't realise you were the prospective adopter so it was a bit insensitive of me to post here.

On hindsight, I should have started a new thread, as BL you are quite right there have been many similar posts requesting help in the past - it just so happens I have commented on yours.

TBH I have always felts a little apprehensive about the arrangement of long-distance homing/fostering/transporting over forums as I think this is more open to abuse, although I'm sure many cats have been helped this way that otherwise wouldn't have. 

(Maybe admin would like to separate posts on this discussion to a new topic??)

:hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 19:22:51 PM »
But you are also wise with it and know that some houses on the face of it are not brill to look at but the owners are wonderful carers of their cats  ;D

When did you see my house?  :shify:  :evillaugh:

:evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat