Author Topic: Advice re cat adoption  (Read 7230 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: Advice re cat adoption
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
Meant to add, when it's a direct rehome we don't expect a donation but of course we do occasionally get them.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 12:49:03 PM »
2nd vaccination would be done if the cat is with them longer than a few weeks which many sadly are  :(

We neuter, vaccinate, microchip, de-flea and worm the cats before they leave us. They have their neuter and first vacc done the day they come in if not already done and then if they are homed before the 3 weeks needed for the booster, we give the owner the choice of what they want to do. If they bring it back to our vets, we will pay for 2nd vacc or they can take it to their own vet and do it themselves. Although we can't ask for specific amount (that's like selling a cat) as a CP branch, we tell people a ballpark figure of what it costs to do everything to the cat and let them know that most people give £65.00. We occasionally have someone who can only afford to give £50 or occasionally those who can afford more but choose to give less and we have to accept that as long as we are confident that if the cat was ill, they would have the money to treat it.
We get a very good deal on the NVS account though and the things we need are ordered by us and taken to be kept at our vets. (microchips and vaccs) but I can imagine without those contacts it would be so hard to manage.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 10:45:08 AM »
I would be more suspicious of a non registered charity. But thats me coming from a finance background and seeing many opportunities to be fleeced.

I don't think thats an entirely fair statement but at the same time I do realise that there are 'those' out there that aren't entirely legit.  That said I would think that if you ask plenty of questions, look at the care of the cats and go with your gut feel then you will find the right person to deal with.  If you wish to probe into the rescue then there shouldn't be any reason why not so long as your requests are legitimate and reasonable and you do it with the rescue directly not via other sources.

We take calls and visits every day from people going to registered charities and non and have been treated like dirt and made to feel unworthy as a cat owner.  I think it has less to do with whether or not you are a registered charity and more to do with principles of that rescue, and the care they give.  Some of us smaller rescues do all we can but with limited resources we all have to draw the line somewhere.  Also just because they are a registered charity doesn't necessarily mean that money is being spent as it should as it depends entirely on the morals and views of those running it!

As a small currently unregistered rescue I can say that we Spay, Vaccinate, worm and frontline all of our cats before they leave but that does put a massive strain on our limited resources. We are very open adn honest with everyone who walks through our door and treat everyone as an individual.  We have no issues with people asking questions looking at our own cats as well as the rescues, standard of care and we also advise people that if they feel the need they can contact our vet for a reference to the standard of care given.

So, personally I would say to you think less about the status of the rescue and more about the care of the animals.  If they vaccinate then great but I think you will probably find those with funds will (I hope) whether it be the first or both.  Most importantly do they have good hygiene and disease control measures. 

Don't go with the first rescue you visit. Visit a few and get a feel for the levels of care and standards that are provided and who you feel most comfortable with.    :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
If we could get vaccines at the cp rate then we would be very happy but we cannot - and believe me we have asked both the vaccine people and CP if we can 'purchase' a supply to give to our vet - our vet can't get his vaccines as cheap as CP.
I would be more suspicious of a non registered charity. But thats me coming from a finance background and seeing many opportunities to be fleeced.
Essentially, if the cats you vsit all look healthy and happy and well cared for then there should not be much of a problem.

Always enquire about returning the cat.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 19:34:57 PM »
2nd vaccination would be done if the cat is with them longer than a few weeks which many sadly are  :(

If your adopting from somewhere that doesnt vaccinate and also keeps a mixed cat environment be cautious.
In regards to knowing if people are legit, trust your gut instinct,good luck

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 16:36:10 PM »
Ginny wasn't jabbed when i adopted her, tisn't a problem really 'cos they're not going to be able to go out immediately anyway. I think she was one of the last unvaccinated though 'cos they changed to vaccing them and charging double the adoption fee. Neutering costs weren't paid for either, though of course older ones would have been done, and i had to sign a contract with regards to her spaying, then send off something signed by the vet to confirm i'd been done.

NasnUzi i think so long as YOU are happy with the rescue, then it pays to have an open mind with regards to vaccs and whether or not they're a registered charity, just as i feel rescues should have open minds instead of blanket policies. ;)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 14:15:29 PM »
lol,

don't worry, I am not offended by any comments on here. I just think it was a bit harsh to say 'stay clear' of rescues who do not innoculate.

Having said that,  I found out a couple of weeks ago that both the local CP and RSPCA have a donation of about £55 where as we are at " £30 - 40" so if we upped it then we could do as CP do and get the first vac done. I am sure they do not do both jabs.

That's what I tend to do Ange, first vaccination and microchip, and then ask owners to sign a contract to get second vaccination done and neutered at appropriate age.  I ask for £60 donation.  However, have just reserved a couple of my gingers and the new prospective owner stated that RSPCA charge £60 and they give them a voucher for neutering so is there anything I can do for them?  Will have to see if I can get vouchers from anywhere for them, though feel a bit miffed that I am expected to "conpete" with a charity that has millions in the Bank whereas all I have is an overdraft!!
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 14:12:40 PM »
I think that on alot of threads subjects go off on a tangent and end up talking, about remotely related or even sometimes totally different things just like in everyday conversations that's what happens when you get chatting :evillaugh: before you know it you forget what the question was!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 14:15:00 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 14:06:12 PM »
lol,

don't worry, I am not offended by any comments on here. I just think it was a bit harsh to say 'stay clear' of rescues who do not innoculate.

Having said that,  I found out a couple of weeks ago that both the local CP and RSPCA have a donation of about £55 where as we are at " £30 - 40" so if we upped it then we could do as CP do and get the first vac done. I am sure they do not do both jabs.

Offline NasnUzi

• Kitten
  • My previous Cat Billi when he was a Kitten...awww
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 13:32:45 PM »
No it would not bother me either, it is something I would do anyway.

To be fair to people giving previous advice, they were just trying to help, and that I appreciate, so  :thanks:.
The thread was started in asking advice in terms of knowing whether an animal rescue is an animal rescue and being a charity etc and what guidelines are there and also about grumpy responses.

How me asking this has invited assumptions of my commitment and that I would steer clear of certain organisations when I said I would bear advice in mind beats me and in fact it just appears everything is getting out of context.

The whole reason why I was asking my original question was because I am being committed and trying to find out advice from more experienced people than myself.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 13:10:38 PM »
Just got me thinking, I remember when we adopted our very first 2 cats, Penny from CP and Squeaky from RSPCA we were told to get them spayed and neutered in so many weeks time which we did no questions asked.  Now though most rescues do seem to have them already spayed and neutered, it still wouldn't bother me if were told to do that now as you need to be able to afford to care for cats it is commitment.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 13:11:46 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline NasnUzi

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 13:07:48 PM »
Thanks for that also.

I wasn't querying costs. There is usually a fee and I have no problem with paying it, in fact I haven't seen a rescue that doesn't charge a fee and that was not the original question that I was asking. I would want the cat(s) to be neutered, vaccinated and micro-chipped. again...I was asking advice with regards to rescues.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
From the other side - The new owner may want everything done but not at that price - how will they keep up all the nice stuff the rescues do!

I know the cost - my vets bills are £600.00 a month - 12 months of the year to keep the Clan injected/wormed/and Programmed and this is before we feed them and add in our 3 dogs or anything major happening -

Last year it was a "Rescue Cat"  we had for Foster with us - Gem who cost £1000 in her short time with us and sadly died with 3 of her Kittens of FIP - I covered the cost not the rescue so she could have every chance sadly she lost her fight but its something to bear in mind as Corona Virus is not tested for unlike FIV/FELV and if it mutates it is a very quick and deadly disease

They are a life time commitment and if querying costs in the begining perhaps a real pet is not for you!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
I have always supposed that the rescues which can afford it have vaccs and other non-essential treatment done, and recoup the cost by charging a fee to the new owners, whereas smaller rescues only have essential work done, but do not charge for a rehoming

so the cost is much the same to the new owner
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline NasnUzi

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »

Errr....Angie. Look I am not here to offend anyone, I am just trying to get as much advice as I can.

When I was saying peoples nice replies...I meant that the answer as to whether or not I would get grumpy responses got answered as I got nice replies...none of them were grumpy.

With regards to animal shelters. I am finding there is no set in stone standard "norm" a lot depends on funding, volunteers, trustees, etc. I did not say that just because a shelter does not fully vaccinate, I wouldn't even consider them. Just because you are not a loaded charity, does not mean that you don't want what is best for a cat. I didn't know if there was a guideline, so was just asking for advice.

I guess asking why if that is the case of not being fully vaccinated suffices and in your case, you have given an answer.

so you would stay clear of us then!  >:(

Some rescues would not be able to keep going if they had to spend yet another £50 on rach ca before it went out - for us it would mean another £7000 deficit for last year

I just said I would bear what everyone had to say in mind.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:43:54 AM »
I am sorry if I offended you but that is just my own personal view on these things.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:23:36 AM »

I also agree look at what rescues do if they don't fully vacs and spay then they are probaly best to stay clear of.
good luck

so you would stay clear of us then!  >:(

Some rescues would not be able to keep going if they had to spend yet another £50 on rach ca before it went out - for us it would mean another £7000 deficit for last year
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:25:29 AM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline NasnUzi

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 11:18:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies...they have been really helpful and will bear them in mind  :)
Also seeing your nice replies, it has given me my answer  :Luv2:

:thanks: and I hope to update soon on my progress.

Take care

Nas xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 16:38:14 PM »
Sorry to hear about your upsetting experience.  Sympathy for animals and for people seem to be mutually exclusive in some cases!

There are some very good rescues that are not registered charities.  Check out www.catchat.org - there's a directory of rescues by area on the home page (on the left hand side).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 14:44:40 PM »
I have to agree that you probaly caught the rescue on a off day. I know that rescues are really struggling with the credit crunch so many more cats are needing to be re homed and so ths is putting alot of pressure and alot of rescues.

I also agree look at what rescues do if they don't fully vacs and spay then they are probaly best to stay clear of.
good luck

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »
Re: grumpy person. I think you just have to think that maybe you caught them at a bad time and not take it personally. They won't all be like that.

Re: charities. One of the cat rescues I support isn't a registered charity, but he is always happy for you to go and look at the cats and answer questions. He neuters, vaccinates and chips and you can return the cat if there is a problem. I think asking at vets is a good idea as well as going to visit and ask lots of questions. Besides being a charity doesn't necessarily mean they do everything right.

Good luck

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 22:14:28 PM »
There are some grumpy old bats out there, so try not to judge all rescues by the actions of one person who may have lost her bucket of cheerful.  ;)

I gather the requirements for becoming a registered charity have got more stringent recently, so I wouldn't hold it against a rescue that wasn't registered.

As to picking your perfect puss, well if you are worried about reputations, you could ask local vets who may have dealt with these rescues. Certainly vets round here know all the good ones and all the not so good ones. Big 'brands' like CP, Cat Action Trust and PDSA will all meet acceptable standards.

Ulitmately I would say you need to rely on your own observations. Ask about their proceedures? Will all cats be vet checked, neutered, vaccinated and microchipped? And very important... do all cats have the right of return if the adoptionm doesn't work out?  :sneaky:

Good luck!  :Luv:

Offline NasnUzi

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 21:13:13 PM »
Awwww  :thanks: Sam...I hope it works  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Advice re cat adoption
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 19:46:49 PM »
I can't really offer any advice but I've amended your thread title so hopefully others will see it :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline NasnUzi

• Kitten
Advice re cat adoption
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:50:13 AM »
Hi everyone : )

I wondered if I could get some further advice please.

I am not sure if I should have started a new thread elsewhere or if it is ok to just continue from this one. Apologies to admin if its in the wrong place!!!

I have been away looking up rescues and contacting them : )
I was wanting to ask...Do you animal rescues that are "non-profit" organisations, but are not a registered charity or is it better to stick to places that are registered charities. I have seen one advertising animals, but I can't find any information about them anywhere.

How do you know whether the animal rescues are actually animal rescues?

Also I was wanting advice with regard to contacting Cat rescues...
I contacted a particular one and the reply was rather rude, in fact it was rather upsetting and disheartening. I have had a cat before, but my circumstances changed and I had to re-home him (see previous post). This is not something that I am happy about, nor was the situation that I was in at the time. While I respect the work of animal rescue workers, was it really necessary to be replied to in the manner of 'its people like you..?'when the reason was going into temporary accommodation (women's refuge). I didn't dump him.

Is this something that I am going to find a lot because of what has happened or is this just an unfortunate one off?

If someone could advise me further it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Link to CatChat