Author Topic: Cat Carriers  (Read 2568 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Re: Cat Carriers
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 17:56:18 PM »
I just bought myself one of these, because Geoffrey is big, heavy and makes it very difficult to get him into the carrier!  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/plastic_cages/13608

It's really secure with a proper locking mechanism (and the ability to add a padlock if you want), metal bolts holding the top and bottom together, and it has wheels and a handle. So as long as I can get him in the carrier and the carrier in the car, it should make life a lot easier!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 17:52:39 PM »
Ultra secure is the wire type  ;D

Apart from the escapee the other week, last year I collected a cat from a really busy road and the plastic carrier started to disintegrate as I walked up the road  :scared:. Luckily, that time I managed to hold it together. I will only use wire from now. I go to the vets more than twice a year so won't take any chances now  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 17:53:40 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 17:48:35 PM »
I use the Ferplast Atlas Deluxe 10 - it opens from the top, front and the whole top section comes off. Can't fault it at all and it puts up with fidgety Mig who's a very heavy bun (plus I walk to the vet)

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 17:42:08 PM »
Ultra secure is the wire type  ;D

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 16:31:13 PM »
I'm in Essex if that helps Gail

swampmaxmum  I like the look of that one, because when we have to take the boys to the vets we have to walk with them I want the box to be ultra secure when carrying them

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »
My newest cat carrier was from Netto about a year ago and it's ace. You can get them from petshops but they charge more, and Netto regularly rotate their offers so if you like the look of it just keep checking the Netto special offer pages. It was £14.99.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 17:10:52 PM »
Mine are well travelled in (european) airline approved plastic ones which are great as they are washable in case of any accidents. What I'd be careful to check is the quality of the catches/locks as if they are sturdy and you are careful, they are escape proof and have a grille at the front so your cat can see out. IF you are at the vet and Feline won't come out, you can take the top off so the vet can get at him (they always look so disappointed  ;) ). Some of the cheaper ones have flimsy locking mechanisms or grilles and would make me nervous. Mine have one of these each, but they would not approve of the colour in this link which is a bit un-macho really :
http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=87

I searched for Kennel Cabs - you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.  Bought mine in SA years ago. They are also light which is great if you are walking to the vet's.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:51:11 AM »
I think Zubins cost me £25 - he is a big lad and he has plenty of room. I had mine for a local pet shop. where about do you live Leanne?

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
I only trust wire baskets, regularly hearing of lost cats because of basket failure  :(

www.metalcote.co.uk

My wire basket is nearly 30 years old and still going strong so if you look after them its v.good value. Wont find a plastic that lasts that long.

If you want to avoid p+p then see if your vet can order one for you, although they will probably cost more   :doh:

Me too MM  ;D

I like mine to be able to see what's going on - I think they would get more nervous not being able to see.  when in the vet I put my arm round them and talk to them so they know they are safe.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:09:19 AM »
Thanks everyone,

Don't really mind what they cost to be honest just want something that will safely carry my boys

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 17:24:21 PM »
I only trust wire baskets, regularly hearing of lost cats because of basket failure  :(

www.metalcote.co.uk

My wire basket is nearly 30 years old and still going strong so if you look after them its v.good value. Wont find a plastic that lasts that long.

If you want to avoid p+p then see if your vet can order one for you, although they will probably cost more   :doh:

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
    • The Pet Extraordinarium
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 17:01:28 PM »
Howdy. After extensive research, there are 3 that I'd recommend, depending on your budget.

The first is the Igloo Cat Carrier, which is about £16.99. Good quality but inexpensive. Try doing a uk google search for "igloo cat carrier".
The second is the Gulliver, which is around £21.99 but is more spacious and more solid.
And the third is the Cargo Cabrio Cat Carrier, which is normally £29.99. Bit of a mouthful, but it's a fantastic carrier that opens up at the top as well as the front, has a shoulder strap as well as handles, and even has bowls integrated into it! Great piece of kit if your budget will stretch that far.

Whatever you go for, though, bear in mind that you're only going to buy a carrier once in a number of years. And I say that from personal experience. No point in spending as little as possible for something that won't last as you'll end up spending more in the long run. That said, some people seem to get by using cardboard ones, though I wouldn't recommend it. I have just this minute returned from a trip to the vet to get Lilly snipped 'n' chipped, and I'll tell you what, I am SO thankful I spent a little more on the carrier when I did! It's traumatic enough for her and for me without having the hassle of a carrier that's not up to the job.

Anyway, hope that helps. Please ask if you want more info.
:boxer:   www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk FOR COOL, FUNKY, GOOD QUALITY CAT ACCESSORIES
10% of every order donated to cat rescues if you click on the link at the bottom of the page!!
The Extraordinary Pet Blog - http://thepetextraordinarium.blogspot.com

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 15:42:21 PM »
I have got a white wire carrier. My previous cat was settled in it and so is Archie. I think they feel secure but can see everthing that is going on. :shify: Its also very sturdy.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 14:55:02 PM »
I was asking this question earlier. Theres one from Tescos that looks pretty good.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12918.0.html

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Cat Carriers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 14:43:33 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good one??

Jess is getting a bit big for his, and when we have to take him to the vets we have around a 10 minute walk with him so I want something safe and secure,

The ones I've been looking at online just don't see to be,

Link to CatChat