Author Topic: Moving house  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Moving house
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 22:01:00 PM »
I read about the spray that you could buy but I wasnt too sure about it, I think I will try it now.

It was the Feliway plug in that I've had the greatest success with, I have the spray too and use it when they go to the vets but have used that in their carriers since day one so can't really say if it had any effect. as I have nothing to compare it with. 

The plug in definitely worked for me though, as I said Lucas can be very sensitive, I think if he were human he'd be a big worrier!  With the plug in he was laying upside down in the middle of the chaos waiting for a tummy rub, the huge pile of boxes didn't bother him in the slightest nor did all the associated noises of packing and dismantling furniture etc.

I think that's a good idea about taking them to your Mum's but I'd still confine them to one room there :luck:

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 21:19:29 PM »
thanks for your replies  :)
Lots of good advice, I read about the spray that you could buy but I wasnt too sure about it, I think I will try it now.
I may take them to my mum's on move day, although they dont know the house it will be nice and stress free for them, and then I can introduce them to their new house later   :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 19:39:37 PM »
I suppose it depends on what you think will stress them least, but I think I would put them in a cattery a few days before moving so that you can pack up and get moved without worrying about them.  Then when you're unpacked and a bit sorted, you can introduce them to their new home.  But if they're not used to going to a cattery that might stress them out more than being shut in one room.

If they only go out into the garden for a few minutes at a time I dont' think they will have a problem with a catproofed garden.  Sounds ideal.

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
  • Jessica pooh,Chi man,Chicken
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 19:35:32 PM »
When i moved with my 14year old cat i put her in a small ish dog crate with her bed and a litter tray and covered it up with a blaket. She was just fine and enjoed her ferry trip hehe.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 20:51:28 PM »
I've just moved myself and although it was stressful for many reasons (asthma attacks, a national carpet shortage and a broken boiler!) the boys themselves were a dream to move.  My best find was the Feliway plug ins, I plugged one in while I was packing everything up and Lucas, who is normally quite sensitive about strange noises and new things, was absolutely fine with all the commotion.  I piled all the boxes into the living room and then on the day of the move shut them in one of the empty bedrooms with their beds, toys and trays.  I then plastered posters all over that door for the removal men 'Do not enter - cats inside' and secured the door handle just in case Riley got smart and worked out how to open it. 

Once everything was moved into the new home I unpacked one room for them and then brought them over.  They have settled in so quickly and although my intention was to leave them in the one room until the rest of the house was calm and relatively unpacked Riley had other ideas, his wailing forced me to let them out into the whole house but again they took it all in their stride and it's like they have always lived here.

I will be cat proofing the garden for them too, my situation is a bit different as they have been indoor only for the first year of their lives (it was their first birthday on Tuesday  :)) so they don't realise that the garden exists yet!  They would need to stay in for around a month regardless of whether the garden is catproofed so they can get their bearings anyway.  I've moved before with Tiggy and her brother who were both allowed out and they were fine about being kept in for that month. 

:luck: with the move, I'm sure it will all work out just fine  :)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 18:54:15 PM »
It will be easier to get them accustomed to a catproofed garden if it is one they are not accustomed to, so no worries there, they will simpy assume that is the way their new environment operates. Minimising stress is a little harder. The last few times I have moved I have had professional packers in two days before I leave. The animals are already out of the house by then, in kennels or wherever it is they will stay until I get to my new place. They do not return to me until my furniture has arrived at the new place. Being in kennels is stressful for some cats, but it is my belief that it is less stressful than watching their entire world being packed away by strangers. Others will doubtles have different approaches ... You need to know your cat. BTW Bob was 17 when he flew to NZ so I would not consider 12yo s to be old enough to need geriatric type precautions ...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 18:51:52 PM »
Helen Tiggysmum has just moved with Riley and Lucas so she should be able to give you first hand advice  ;D

Hope the move goes well  :hug:

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
Moving house
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 18:47:43 PM »
Hello all
I've not been around for a while, hope everyone and their kitties are well.

I am moving house in a couple of weeks hopefully, and I have 2 concerns really.
My cats are both 12, I am so worried that they will be really stressed etc. I've been looking for tips on the net, and seen a few good ideas, but I just wondered if anyone had been in the same situation?
Also, at the moment they go out. Well if you class going out as going in the garden for 5 minutes and then coming back in again! Lol.
So, I'm obviously worried about that too.
What I am tempted to do is cat proof the garden, that isn't cruel is it as they now have the ability to go where-ever they please?
The new garden is large, and fortunately its ideal for cat proofing as it has a high fence all around it, so I think it would just be a case of putting the netting around it?

Link to CatChat